From: B.A. Samoila <fift8imperial@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 3:30 am
Subject: IML: question for 1959 owners

I hope you can clear up a question for me... first the
story then the question. Since 1978 I have owned my
1958 white Crown convertible. When I purchased it from
its original owner it had its factory installed 14"
wheels and a set of bias ply narrow whitesidewalls
installed sometime in the 1960s. It did not have the
original '58 wheel covers but rather a set of 1959
Dodge spinners...you guys know the ones I'm talking
about, the ones they call Tarantulas with the white
squares and exaggerated 4 bar spinners. Well a couple
years later I had to buy a set of tires and purchased
a set of wider wide whitewall Goodyear Arrivas, but in
those days there were no 14" tires large enough to
accomodate the Imperial's weight so I went to 15"
wheels which were real easy to find then and 235-75
R15 tires which worked perfectly and still do the job
today 26 years later. Problem is I've never found a
set of Imperial wheel covers that look right on the
15" wheels on the '58 body style ( the '59 Tarantulas
looked great but won't work on the 15" wheels). I've
tried all years from '61 to '65... the '62-'63 look ok
and I have two each of those... and it currently wears
a '64 set which just doesn't look right. ANYHOW...I
thought that since the '59 body style was so close to
the '58 that '59 covers would look good on the car,
but according to the factory brochure the '59 also had
14" wheels. HOWEVER, its lately come to my attention
that there were some '59s equipped with 15" wheels.
QUESTION: did Imperial offer a 15" factory wheelcover
for 1959 models and if so what did it look like...you
1959 guys ought to know. I've heard they looked
similar to the wheel covers used on Chrysler 300s
around 1962. Please share any information you may have
and a photo to help me clear up this 26 year old
question. Currently I'm looking for some 1960 wheel
covers but I'd like to investigate the '59 option
first. Yes, Wire wheels are always an option, too.
Thanks so much and please excuse my long-winded-ness.
Bruce