From: Hugh, 58 Imperial <imperial58@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 8:46 am
Subject: IML: Rebuilding / reinstalling a 392 hemi into a 1958

This message is directed at folks who have had the pleasure of rebuilding and reinstalling their 392 Hemi into a 57 or 58 Imperial. (I suspect this is a short list but that's OK.) Much as I appreciate the "I would think" stuff I think I need some hands on perspective at this point.

Let's say I want to rebuild my 58's engine and reinstall it into the car myself, with some assistance. Which will be the more difficult and / or time consuming? Rebuilding it and connecting to the transmission (also rebuilt) or reinstalling it into the car and connecting everything up.

I think I can do the lion's share of the rebuild as I've done the top end before when it was in the car, so outside would be easier. (Cramped spaces, access, all of that.) Reconnecting it to the transmission will be fun. I do have access to a first class mechanic to supervise, the same guy who helped me five years ago and now he has a little more time.

I think putting the 'whale,' the nickname of the early Hemi, back into the car is going to be fraught with problems. Space is tight to say the least.

Let me tell you what I am hoping for. If I rebuild the engine essentially myself and reconnect it to the transmission, I may be able to persuade the trucking company owner to get his guys to do the reinstallation. But what I need to know is how long it might take professionals to get it done. They cannot allow my car to clog up one of their bays for a long time. That's the problem they have right now.

I look forward to getting some information from those more experienced than me on these matters.

In passing, the link to "Rebuilding your Hemi" on the main web site does not work. I'd sure like to read that, if possible.

Hugh
1958 Imperial
San Antonio, Texas.