Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:54 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: A/C in 6 Volt Cars

One main issue in adding air conditioning to a stock 6 volt vehicle is that
the electrical system, marginal in the first place, isn't going to be able
to keep up with the load.  It's even a problem in a 12 volt system with a
wimpy 30 amp generator, as I found out.  In the 12 volt situation, it's
usable as long as you don't try to also turn on the headlights and the
wipers, etc. and do a lot of idling in traffic.  In other words, daytime use
is OK but night-time stop and go with the A/C on gets a bit scary.

The solution to this for the 6 volt vehicle would be to use a high output
generator.  I suppose there was a factory option generator for this exact
purpose, although they are probably rare enough today that it might be more
practical to look for an old Leece-Neville police alternator from the same
era.  There are a couple of specialty shops which can create a new one-wire
output 6 volt alternator for you, made out of a GM 1980's core, but I like
the idea of using a product that could have been bought at the time the car
was new.  I think the Leece-Nevilles were about 60 amps on a 6 volt model,
which ought to be enough.

Geoff Fors
Monterey CA