Re: IML: chrome aluminum bumpers for '81 Imperial

Jerry, I speak with pure speculation on the bumper issue. Since my 81 has some bumper problems as well, it appears the problem starts at the edge or sharp end of the plated-aluminum interface. Since there are dissimilar metals involved, the edges are most likely to have galvanic corrosion issues first. The cure, well I can't say for sure, but sealing the raw edges of the bumper, with some clear epoxy may buy some time.Another possibility, is to be sure the bumper is bonded (grounded) to the frame. Let us know, in ten years. Dave.

From: JLANDIS81044@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi fellow Imperial lovers,
I have recently purchased a set of n.o.s. bumpers (SIMPLY GORGEOUS!!!) for my '81 AND WANT TO KEEP THEM FROM ROTTING, DECAYING, TURNING TO GARBAGE, ETC.Does anyone have a suggestion as to what polish, etc. can be applied to keep the elements away? They are not on the car yet, and the way it is going, they may be in the boxes for years!, but when I get them on the car, I don't want to worry that they are going to turn to dust someday (at least while I have the car).
Those of you who have or have had '81-'83's know what I'm talking about.
Imperially,
Jerry Landis