From: Joe Strickland <jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 3:31 am
Subject: IML: Installing Replacement Tail Light Lenses on a '62 & Brake system

Paul wrote:

I bought a pair of reproductions for my '62 about 20 years ago. They had the holes drilled already, and the original screws worked fine. I had to remove the "reflectors" inside the old lenses and install them  into the new ones. Other than that, the job was a piece of cake. I finally put them on the car in 2003.

Paul W.

Paul, thanks for the input. The lenses I bought were probably from perhaps the same person? I ordered my from a man in Irondale, AL. The lenses do have the screw holes already in them from the injection molding process. It is just that I was unsure what size screws were used with the OEM lenses. The replacement lenses also required removal of the reflector clear lenses inside and reusing them with the new ones. I now have another set of the clear internal lenses thanks to Mark Evans. I still have the OEM lenses for the car, but I was never sure if the right size screws had been used with them. Not all of the ones I removed were the same size. The original lenses have internal crazing cracks in them. They are still usable, but don't look too great.

I think I will measure the inside diameter of the screw holes on the new lenses and see what screw sizes would work using some standard screw hole data from a mechanical engineering web site if I can find one.

On another note, I took my last set of brake shoes back to the brake shoe re-liner and had them grind them down to the right thickness a second time. This time I took my caliper with me and checked the thickness before leaving! I think now I may finally be able to get the front brake shoes back on correctly.

Thanks to everyone for their help along the way! :>)

Joe