Re: IML: Electronic ignition

> From: "Geoff Fors" <wb6nvh@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: IML: Electronic Ignition
>

> One of the reasons I was thinking about converting to electronic
> ignition on
> my '67 is that the Mopar Direct-Connection style electronic ignition
> conversion kit has an adjustable vacuum advance.  I have a terrible
> time
> with pre-detonation (pinging) even with supreme brand gasoline and
> retarding
> the timing isn't a very satisfactory solution, particularly
> considering  how
> far it has to be retarded.  I have tentatively determined that the
> pinging
> is caused by the vacuum advance curve being too aggressive for today's > fuel.
>
> I have already converted the heads to unleaded and don't want to
> replace
> pistons and head gaskets in a project to lower the compression, so I
> am
> looking at distributor advance solutions.
>
> What have others done regarding the predetonation issue?

First off, are you using Autolite 85 plugs? This sounds like superstition, but I've seen it solve knock problems repeatedly in these cars.

The adjustable vacuum advance is a good idea - I had a '77 Ford LTD Police interceptor for 13 years, and it was a real waste-heat monster - whether or not I got knock was variable based on as little as +/- 10 degrees outside temp, brand of gas, or other minor driving conditions, so it was almost impossible to set the advance in a garage. I got an adjustable one, and it worked like a dream for me.

My '63 Custom 2DHT never had any knock problems. My '63 Crown 4DHT knocked in the summer, and my solution was to always run a racing gas mix as I had little overhead back in those days. For some reason, certain brands of super unleaded (Amoco, Sinclair) also ran straight w/o knock. My '69 Crown 4DHT had a little knock in hot weather, and when I switched to an MSD it went right away - I don't know what the mechanism is (more complete burn, maybe?), but it's never knocked since.

   -Kle.
   '69 Crown 4DHT (mothballed, for now)