From: [mailto: DickB@xxxxxxxxx]
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 09:57:35 -0700
Subject: RE: IML: Electronic distributor

I?ve said thisbefore, and I?ll probably stir of a hornet?s nest by repeating it:

Yes,electronic ignition is an improvement over the old system; the improvement is inreduced need for maintenance and perhaps slightly in performance (immeasurableunless your old system was in really bad shape).

HOWEVER!: You dolose something that I feel is very important: These cannot be fixed bythe side of the road with a hairpin and some chewing gum ? if it quits,its tow truck time! The older system can be made to work with all sortsof jury-rigged kludges using roadside trash items if necessary to get you homeif something breaks on it. (Been there, done that!) Further,when it is getting toward the end of life, the deterioration is gradual. With the electronic system, when something goes bad, it is all over immediately? no limping along to the next freeway exit! It?s coast tothe side of the road and whip out the cell phone to call the man with thehook! (I hope you?re where you have cell phone coverage, and yourbattery isn?t dead.)

Old CharlieKettering was not so dumb, after all.

Dick Benjamin