Re: IML: Electronic Ignition

I would start with checking this first:

>> The carburetor is a fairly worn-out original AFB, which is
going to be replaced shortly as it has some unrelated issues.  It could
very well be running lean, I'll check that too.

If this also doesnt cure the problem, there are 2 other (likely) possibilites:
- spark is too weak
- octane rating of te fuel is too low

You could try filling a tank withthe best fuel you can find and add some octane booster. If this doesnt solve the problem, see if you can borrow a performance ingition from someone and see if that makes the difference.

Also, maybe someone can borrow you a performance coil & ignition box. I know opinions differ on these parts, but take my word on it, my MSD ignition (Probillet distributor, Blaster SS coil, MSD 6AL box, adjustable timing control) for sure woke up my 440, both performance and economy improved; the drawback of this system is that the spark is so aggressive that it eats a setof plugs within a few thousend miles LOL, and the purchase price is not justified if you're not into trick gadgetry for your car.

But for just some relaxed cuising, a standard electronic ignition will do the job as well. In my opinion, FBO delivers the best spark for the buck, only slightly more expensive than the MP parts, but MUCH better.

Sjak