RE: IML: removing chrome bits

You need to take the whole thing off in one piece….once you loosen the rubber gromet under the dash that holds the mirror in place, it comes out easy………as far as I know the cable does not come off without great difficulty……

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 4:32 PM
To: mailing-list@imperialclub
Subject: IML: removing chrome bits

I am preparing to repaint my 65. I want to remove the Imperial letters from the rear decklid for rechroming. I would like to do the same for the driver's mirror. The eagle emblem on the hood looks straightforward tp remove.

Some have suggested using a putty knife to remove the letters. Do you agree? I don't want to damage them trying to pop them off. As for the mirror, do I need to disconnect it from the remote lever on the dash or can I simply remove the cable(?) from the mirror itself. It appears that the mirror would be removed by removing two screws connecting it to the fender. An lastly, I need to remove the mirror itself from the assembly. Is that simple to d?. I am not adept at this kind of stuff.

Thanks

Mark Boehme