RE: IML: Thermostats

My suspicion for this scenario (below) is that the fan clutch is not working
and/or the fan shroud is missing.  I'm thinking that lots of air over the
radiator at highway speeds will keep everything cool.  Once you slow down
and get into traffic the fan clutch should take over and engage the fan to
keep plenty of air going through the radiator.  If it's not working I think
what Kle has described would be the end result.  Eventually the slow moving
fan will pull enough air through the radiator to finally overtake the
temperature increase.  I would suspect that running the AC while in traffic
causes temperature increases as well.  A sure sign of a failed fan clutch.

Sjak pointed out earlier an item that I missed regarding timing.  Retarded
timing will always tend to make the engine run warmer.  Early smog control
systems here in California used to block off the vacuum advance until the
engine reached operating temperature in an attempt to warm the engine
faster.  I've seen where members have retarded timing a few degrees to avoid
a pinging problem.

Another culprit I just thought of is fuel/air mixture.  Sometimes people
will lean out the fuel mixture in an attempt to get better fuel economy.
This only makes the engine runner hotter.

Ok, it's time to click on the "send" button and go to bed.

Ken
67 Crown 4 Dr Ht
68 LeBaron 4 Dr Ht

    I then get off the highway (and probably turn off the A/C
temporarily). I have to slow down, or enter stop-and-go traffic, so the
engine temp starts to climb. It will eventually cool down, as the
cooling system catches up with the big heat dump from the lower airflow
(presuming it isn't overwhelmed and overheats), but right now it's
climbing.