Re: IML: Thermostats

> Subject: Re: IML: thermostats
> From: PAUL WENTINK <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
>
> I don't understand how the lower temperature thermostat is going to
> cool down a hot engine. Once its hot, the only way to cool it down
> is
> to turn it off and wait. Sitting in traffic with it running will only
> make it hotter since there is less air and water circulation under
> stop
> and go conditions.

   You're right, it doesn't help at all once the engine is hot.

   Here's the circumstance where I've found it helps:

I'm driving along the highway at 70 or 80mph on a hot day, with the A/C on - the car is running in proper temp condition, so the coolant is around the thermostat temp, and the thermostat is opening and closing periodically.

I then get off the highway (and probably turn off the A/C temporarily). I have to slow down, or enter stop-and-go traffic, so the engine temp starts to climb. It will eventually cool down, as the cooling system catches up with the big heat dump from the lower airflow (presuming it isn't overwhelmed and overheats), but right now it's climbing.

If the thermostat is a 160, the temp starts climbing from the vicinity of 160 and has about 90 degrees until it gets to the boil-over imminent range around 250. If it's a 180, it starts around 180, and only has 70 degrees to go.

Thus, the lower temp thermostat gives a bigger time and temperature 'cushion', in which the cooling system has a chance to catch up.

     -Kle.
     '69 Crown 4DHT (resting)