Re: IML: OEM Radiator - provides sufficient for a 408 CI???

Abe, if the original radiator is in REALLY good shape, then it's worth a try. There were some 76-80 police package Volares, and Aspens with 360's, this could be an aftermarket source. It's also important to retain the fan shroud as well as a good fan. You didn't say just how you're going to use your 81, A/C, stock rear gears, trans, climate etc. All this has an effect on heat load. There are some other tips for the small block guys(81-83) Imps as well, since Chrysler did seem to goof on the size of the thermostat by-pass size, (that hose between the intake, and water pump) they made it very large. It's about 3 times the size of the B-RB motors. We always install a restricter in the by-pass, this is accomplished two ways: if the manifold is off, we install a freeze plug in the pipe nipple, then drill a hole 5/16-3/8" in the plug. If the hose is removed, on an otherwise complete engine, simply push a freeze plug of proper size in the end of the hose with the same size hole in it (water pump end), and push the hose on, and clamp as usual. We've solved many cooling problems with this fix. Again a 180 thermostat is the choice, and we always drill one or two 1/8" holes in the flate area, this does two things, it purges air out of the cooling system during filling and helps the t-stat "read " the temp of the engine better. Just some every day stuff. Dave.

From: "Abe Mantell" <mantell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hello Everyone!

I'll soon be putting in a:
Crate Engine, Long Block, Mopar 408 Small Block, Magnum Heads, Scat Crank, 375 hp/ 460 ft/ lbs
in my '81 Imperial.

We are not sure if the OEM radiator will be sufficient to keep it cool.
The tech fellow at Summit Racing believes it *should" be OK, as long as
I don't spend much time "on the track!"

Does anyone have experience with this???

Many TIA & thanks again to everyone who responded to my other
question about headers for this!

Abe Mantell (mantell@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
'81 Imperial(s)

BTW: Anyone know where I can get a front anti-sway bar for my '81?