From: Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:18 am
Subject: Re: IML: 56 Center plane Brakes

The vocabulary word that might fit here is "arc" as in
"to arc the shoes" so that they fit the drum.

There is/was a tool that did this to the shoes when
they were on the car, and it was a sander of some
sort.

Hardly anyone does it anymore.

I suggest that the shoe material on your replacement
shoes is too thick.  Your next trick will be to
calculate the difference and see how much that is.

If you want to free your inner hillbilly, and the shoe
material seems really thick and the difference needed
is "not so much", you could try clamping each shoe in
a vice and carefully using a belt sander very evenly
on it for a set number of consistent passes on each
one, but that's a very dicey thing, and you didn't
hear it from me if you screw it up, but what have you
got to lose if you're going to be getting other shoes
anyway?

I know someone that relines shoes in asbestos material
should that be of interest.  It's what came originally
and might be superior if you don't go licking your
rims later on.

-Kenyon

--- Gary Wilson <mopar413@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sounds to me like you have the wrong shoes.  They
used to trim the shoes but anymore they mostly fit
with out triming the shoes.