IML: Cooling system "cleaning"

Kenyon, et al:

I tried an old-timers trick of using "Cascade" automatic dishwashing detergent in my '67 engine.  Mine had sat in a garage for about 10 years with blown freeze plugs and no antifreeze in it.  It was started every month and only run for a short time to keep the oil moving around.  Plenty of rust in that system!

The "Cascade" made sense in that it was a cleaner, that wouldn't foam up / create alot of bubbles.  I opted for this as a gentler solution than the harsh flushes at the auto parts store, due to the age of my gaskets.  It seemed to work - I have no leaks.  I would think that you would be OK using the regular cooling system flushes because of your new rebuild.

Additionally, as a way to "strain" out the rust & scale particles, I used a "filter" at the upper radiator hose.  Nothing more than a piece of "tee-shirt" held in place by the hose & clamp.  Be careful with this, as the "filter" gets clogged with particles fairly quickly - in 5 to 10 miles, depending on the "weave".  I would think many "old car folks could benefit from this arrangement.  There is an actual upper hose filter available from a company in Australia.

This arrangement was used for a couple of weeks as I drove back and forth to work - you would be amazed at the amount of junk / sand / rust that got caught in the "filter".  I now have new antifreeze in her and about 3500 miles since I began the car project.  Another change of antifreeze is coming, and then I think I'm comfortable with the cooling system.

Hope this helps,

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom