Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:20 PM
Subject: IML: Oil usage theories

Hello everyone (& Dave):

I have excessive oil usage on my '67 Imperial engine. Not much of a surprise with 150K+, and sitting for a decade. 1 quart/150 miles at 70 mph, & 1 quart/300 miles at 45ish avg. mph around town. I know the correct answer is to do a complete rebuild. Can't quite pop for that right now, as there are too many other priorities for my next $3000.

Compression check months ago was OK, no blue smoke at cold start up (even if sitting for days), no blue smoke at hard acceleration, or after idle - just no blue smoke at all. Idles and drives quite well, gets about 11 mpg. Pulled the plugs yesterday after 3000 miles, and they were nicely tanned/greyed, clean everywhere except wet oil on the threads.

Dave had mentioned earlier that big block Mopars have a tendency to need valve seals. If that is what's indicated by the above evidence, I could probably find the resources to pull the heads.

Any expert (or otherwise) theories and thoughts would be most welcomed.

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom