IML: Close Call

Before I start I should describe the terrain and surroundings of my home.  I live up in the hills on 1 ¼ acre of land.  The driveway is very long and runs all the way to the back of the property (about 250 feet).  The driveway gently slopes towards the front of the property with a severe drop at the front.  Caution must be used when entering and leaving to angle the Imperial just right so the rear bumper does not drag.  Across the street my neighbors property has a sharp drop, a couple of small sheds, then straight down to the bottom of the canyon.

My wife and I were getting ready to head out for a local Imperial get-together yesterday.  I got the 67 warmed up and pulled around the side yard (this spot in the driveway is nearly level which is why I check fluid levels there).  All the other fluids had been checked but I wanted to check tranny fluid before hitting the road.  I grabbed a decent size rock from the yard and placed it under one of the wheels so the car would not roll forward when I put it in neutral to check fluid.

At this point I should mention that the parking brake does not stay engaged when the transmission is in neutral.  The automatic parking brake release is out of adjustment on the steering column and I haven’t gotten around to getting up under the dash to mess with it.  Mostly because it works fine when the in Park position and automatically disengages when I put it in Drive.  So it has been a low priority. (until now)

To continue, the tranny fluid level was fine.  I shut off the engine, grabbed the rock from under the wheel and tossed it back in the yard, and headed into the house to take care of a few last minute things before heading out for the day.  At the time I removed the rock the car remained stationary.  After I got back in the house it started to creep forward ever so slowly.  When I came back out the Imperial was gone.  OMG !!  I knew immediately what had happened, I forgot to put the tranny back in Park.  (some of you may have caught that)  I ran to the driveway to look around the corner of the house.  I expected to see the car gone and a path of destruction leading through my neighbors yard and into the canyon.  Instead the car had veered slightly to the left and made it about 20 feet before colliding with 5 big plastic trash cans pushed up against the chimney.  So I had plastic bottles and card board from the recycle bin all over the driveway. (easy to clean up)  The left side of the car was so close to the house I had to climb in from the passenger side.  I started it up and backed away from the mess and got out to inspect what damage had been done.   But there was no damage, not even a scratch.  It was a lucky day for me and the Imperial.  All the trash cans had cushioned the impact and brought the car to a gentle stop.

Have I re-prioritized my to-do list for the 67 Imperial?  You betcha.  Fixing the parking brake release is now at the top of the list.

Ken

67 Crown 4 Dr Ht (still in one piece)

68 LeBaron 4 Dr Ht