Re: IML: 66 Drum brake issue

> Subject: RE: IML:66 Drum Brake Issue
> From: "Hall, Marc F" <marc.f.hall@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a braking problem with my '66.
>
> The car's brakes were tired but ok before turning her over to the shop
> (SA).  Among other jobs, SA rebuilt the brakes and found the rear
> brakes lock up well before the front brakes engage fully.  Lines
> have been
> flushed and seem fine.  Front brake drums and shoes match ok, some
> re-arching of the shoes did not solve the problem.  Front shoes are
> of a different mfg than the rear, is this a friction coefficient
> issus??  SA indicates that they are getting to the end of their
> expertise on the
> cause of the brake differential.  SA is pretty good at general repairs
> and Chryslers are not too mysterious for them.  I have done the brakes
> myself at least twice without screwing it up, so the pro's have hit a
> hitch in their getalong?

   Proportioning valve problem(maybe some crud got stuck in there)?

There's probably a rubber line in the back - if it's gotten weak, it might be 'inflated' by line pressure, so it's keeping the rear brakes partially actuated all the time, and they grab first. This happened on my '67 Polara.

     -Kle.
     '69 Crown 4DHT (in temporary repose)