IML: BRAKE SHOE INSTALLATION ON '52 IMPERIAL

IML: BRAKE SHOE INSTALLATION ON '52 IMPERIAL

Michael;

Paul has it right.  I went through the same issue with my '62.  I had to have the existing brake shoes re-lined and then had to take them back and have the lining thickness reduced to 0.170 inches to get the drums to fit and allow the adjusters to do their job correctly.  On your car the recommended shoe lining thickness is 13/64" which works out to about 0.203".  See this page on the '52 factory service manual:  http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1952/52FSM/Page046-big.jpg The lining thickness has to include the adhesive layer underneath the lining material.  The total build-up should not exceed the recommended thickness.

Always check the great information available on-line at the club website!  It is hard to beat!  As Paul mentioned it is always better to have the shoe lining thickness reduced, not enlarge the ID of the brake drums.  The drums are not available new anymore and if you wind up exceeding the allowable material thinness or ID increase shown in the service manual you will have to find used replacements if they are even available.  I would say, only have the drums turned if absolutely necessary to correct problems like spots that have been excessively heated or out of round beyond what can be tolerated.

Joe
begin:vcard
fn:Joe Strickland
n:Strickland;Joe
adr;dom:;;1021 Vaughan Lane;Tioga;Texasw;76271
email;internet:jwstrick426@xxxxxxxxxx
version:2.1
end:vcard