Re: IML: AAJ vs stock brakes for 1957

My Imp has the original four drums braking and after some problems after the restoration of the car now it brakes perfectly.
I discover that all the problems i had (brutal braking at slow speed, pulling very hard to one or the other side which made the car dangerous to drive, squealing, etc..) came from two itesm:
- One front drum which was out-of-round. After a shop turnt it , it was more out-of-round !! I put one from my spare parts car, no machining required .
- all the shoes were relined with asbetos free material. It was the worst thing i ordered .. When i tried and  put NOS or NORS asbetos shoes * (bought on ebay) the braking became perfect. Some of my friends who has the same problem with theirs brakes were also astonished to feel how their car now brakes with the original material ..

* seems that i read on IML or FWDLK list that our drums need asbetos lining which are less agressive than actual material. That decided me to buy old shoes.

--
Philippe COURANT

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F

Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

Buick 1996 Roadmaster wagon

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) :   http://www.ch300imp.com