RE: IML: top speed for '66

There are formulas for working this out.  With 3.23 gears you have to be turning an enormous number of RPMs to push a '66 to 200mph.  IIRC, when I was toying with the idea of taking one to the salt flats I worked out 6000RPM with the stock gear ratio and transmission backed up by a Gearvendors overdrive for a theoretical top speed of 196mph.

However, the aerodynamics would require substantial modification of the vertical nose and side faring, not to mention replacing all the glass and trim with materials that can withstand the pressure.  The air rushing through those cavernous wheel wells will literally lift your rear end off the ground.  In addition, if you want to run in any class higher than 150mph, the SCTA requires a welded cage and other substantial changes to your car.

I recommend you forget the body modification and put the overdrive unit in.  Another good modification is rollerizing your transmission to reduce internal friction (improves gas mileage, too).  Be certain that your engine does not run lean at WOT or you will be very, very sad.  Take the car to the track for practice.  The autobahn is no place to experiment.  Get some good road racing tires, peg the speedometer on a long straightaway and have a good time.

Please note I said long straightaway -- you don't want to know what happens if you try to power through a turn at 100+ in a 1966 Imperial.  It wasn't made for that.

Happy motoring,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver 200,000 miles
'66 LeBaron dual air and every option known to man