RE: IML: HORSEPOWER

Horsepower ratings, in the early 70's changed to NET HP. It was at a lower RPM, I believe 3500 and included accessory loads. At the same time, our marine engines (Chrysler) remained nearly the same as mid to late 60's. The 318 till 95 was 235@4600, the 440 was 300-330-335-350 (335 had 2 4bbls, 350 was a 6 pack) @4000, till 80 after that the 440 was 330 till mid 80's, all with Carter AFB's and 8.2-8.5 compression. The loss of compression was only a 5-7% loss of HP, I bought my last new 440's in 86. If  I was so inclined to want a possible 200 mph Imperial, I would use my 81. Since they were used in NASCAR racing, and the most aerodynamic Chryslers at the time, it would also be tubocharged, with a manual trans. The calculations that have been noted for theoretical top speeds, have not addressed torque converter loss, tire slippage, or aerodynamic loss. These could easily exceed 25%. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: "Dave Barker" <dbarker534@xxxxxxx>

Interesting you should say that. I had a 74 Charger with a slant 6 and autotrans 20 some years ago. That thing could cruise all day at 75mph effortlessly and still make upwards of 25mpg. Not a light car, but I was amazed. And true, 1972 was when they plugged a Kirby into the power hole on American cars and sucked all the power out. I had a 68 galxi w/a 302 rated at 210hp and later had a 72 Turdrino w/ the same engine rated at 140...and it felt like 4cylinder power?truly gutless. It?s strange that a 440 would?oops, an Imperial?s 440 would be rated at 140 also. It seems like the hp in all the big cars w/huge engines dropped into the low 200s, but yeah, 140 does sound more like rear wheel horse.

From:  mrs954@xxxxxxx
. The best was a 74 Duster with automatic transmission. It seemed to have plenty of power for the weight of the car.

Dave

67 Haze (not missing any hp here) Green Sedan

Covington, WA