Re: IML: HORSEPOWER

I'm definitely not a guru, but I know that the pick-up and go on my 1965 Imperial is a universe of difference faster than the 1977 New Yorker I had.  The 1965 Imperial also gets better gas mileage than the 1977 did for some reason.

Timothy

Horsepower ratings, in the early 70's changed to NET HP. It was at a lower RPM, I believe 3500 and included accessory loads. At the same time, our marine engines (Chrysler) remained nearly the same as mid to late 60's. The 318 till 95 was 235@4600, the 440 was 300-330-335-350 (335 had 2 4bbls, 350 was a 6 pack) @4000, till 80 after that the 440 was 330 till mid 80's, all with Carter AFB's and 8.2-8.5 compression. The loss of compression was only a 5-7% loss of HP, I bought my last new 440's in 86. If  I was so inclined to want a possible 200 mph Imperial, I would use my 81. Since they were used in NASCAR racing, and the most aerodynamic Chryslers at the time, it would also be tubocharged, with a manual trans. The calculations that have been noted for theoretical top speeds, have not addressed torque converter loss, tire slippage, or aerodynamic loss. These could easily exceed 25%. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.