From: "PAUL WENTINK" <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:33 AM
Subject: Re: IML: How fast, bub?

"Back in the day" I use to drive my '56 fast enough to bury the
speedometer needle. The previous owner suggested that he had driven it
130 mph. I don't know how fast I was going, but it was well over 100,
probably over 120. The last time I recall doing it was in 1974 on I-5
in Seattle, along side of another '56 that belonged to a friend of
mine. We happened to meet on the freeway going the same direction and
both had the same idea. Back then, our roads were abandoned due to the
Boeing lay offs, but it was still very illegal. I was also very young
and stupid. Having said that, the car would travel that fast.

I "tested" my '60 LeBaron and had it going fast enough for the
speedometer to register 115. It floated along like I was going 65 mph,
but that also was a long time ago, and before I learned that there is
never a time when its okay to drive like that on a public road. In
those days the police would have scolded me if I had been caught, but
the reality of it was that I could have killed people. I am very sorry
about that.

Driving an Imperial "as fast as it will go" is fine, but it needs to be
done at a race track, not on a public road.

Paul W.