IML: High speed: Public road or race track?

IML: High speed: Public road or race track?

Paul W. wrote:

Driving an Imperial "as fast as it will go" is fine, but it needs to be
done at a race track, not on a public road.

I reply:

But here's the rub. If you approach a race track to try to drive your souped up car at 200 MPH they will say sure. But, they will insist your car is completely prepared. Roll cages. Fire suppression systems and the driver in a helmet and a retardant suit. Correct tires. proof of insurance for the added risk to car, driver and facility. You know, the reasonable stuff you would expect from a safety conscious organization.

Here's the ironic part. I actually approached a race track here in Texas with a view to trying out my 58 at maximum speed. I saw one of those old videos with an Imperial of my vintage zooming around those high banked ovals and just thought that would have to be the coolest thing. Turns out you need certificates for a whole bunch of things. You have to prove you have had the training to be able to control the car at high speeds. It was going to end up costing a small fortune plus many, many modifications to the car.

Yeah, I'm being a kill joy, I admit it. Loads of people obviously disagree with me. That's cool. All I'm saying is not everybody here thinks this project is absolutely wonderful. What is cool is that we can have a discussion, disagree and still get along. I bet the guy in Belgium is having the time of his life. Putting his heart and soul into a project that makes him and a lot of other people, vicariously, happy. Now, what would such an endeavor be if there weren't folks to say "Nay?" I'm just making the proposition all the sweeter, stiffening his resolve, etc. And I happen to be right. If a race track demands certain things, doing it on public roads is not a good alternative. Remco has made a great many alterations to his car already. Why not go all the way and do it properly? That way he'd even get coverage from motoring magazines and possibly even television. Then even folks like me would have to, albeit grudgingly, say well done.

Hugh