From: "Mark Elliott" <deadfishe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:13 AM
Subject: IML: Starting my 64 Imperial

FIrst off I would like to thank all those who offered
suggestions on
my query about starting my Imperial.  I have finally had
time to go
out and try some of the suggestions.  Here is what I Have
done so far.

I checked the voltage at the terminals of he battery and it
is 14.8
volts.  I took off the battery cables and cleaned the
terminals and
the battery cables.  Measuring the voltage from the cable to
the
cables I also get 14.8 volts.  I measured the ohms of the
cables.  On
the positive cable I got .1 ohm, and on the negative cable I
got
about 1 ohm.  Is that too high on either cable?  The
positive
cable  goes from the battery to the fender, and then there
is another
cable that runs from there to the starter.  The resistance
on the
second cable was 0 according to my wife (I couldn't see the
ohm meter)

I did try hit hitting the starter with a rubber mallet
incase it was
just stuck, but that didn't make any difference.

I am definitely hearing a click (like the solenoid) when I
turn the
key (though it is only a single click, rather than multiple
(which is
what I am more used to hearing).  There were a couple of
times where
it sounded like the engine was starting to turn.  So I am
assuming
that the engine isn't stuck (I haven't tried turning it by
hand yet).

Is it possible for the battery to have adequate voltage, but
not
enough current?  I had planned on swapping out a different
battery,
but all my batteries are the front connect type, and the
Imperial
requires a top connect battery, plus the voltage seems
reasonable.

Any additional suggestions?  My wife says to include that if
anyone
ones a 64 4 door, this one is available cheap.  It is
complete
(though in pieces), with lots of spare parts.  Though you
will have
to haul it away (after all, I can't get it started), and it
will need
to be moved soon.

Thanks,

Mark Elliott
non starting 64 Imperial that needs to be moved.

will be
shared with everyone. Private messages (and attachments) for
the
To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to
http://imperialclub.com/unsubscribe.htm