From: "PAUL WENTINK"
Subject: Re: IML: Rumbling driveline vibration
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:19:15 -0500

I don't own a '93, but engine mounts are
suppose to isolate the engine, transmission,
and drive line from the rest of the car. If the
wrong mounts are used, there can be a direct
connection, or "grounding" of the engine to the
frame or sub-frame. If this should occur, the
car becomes like the inside of a drum, and any
sound or vibration is magnified.

Broken mounts typically disconnect the engine
completely from the car, so it is possible for
a noticeable increase in noise or vibration to
occur once replaced, but the correct mounts
should not do this to the extent you describe,
especially in automobiles that are noted for
silence and smoothness of operation. If this
continues after the next set of mounts are
installed, there may be other problems with the
car, such as rough engine, bad c.v. joints, or
u-joints which may have been masked by the
broken mounts. It may be possible that the
position of the exhaust system will change with
the new mounts, causing it to "ground" against
a portion of the car which should be isolated
from it. This would also result in a noise and
vibration condition.

Noises and vibration can have many different
causes, so you may want to refer to the FSM for
your car to see if there is a specific
troubleshooting section or service diagnosis
for this problem.

Paul W.