RE: IML: exhaust manifold studs for chrysler Big Block 413

To all traumatised exhaust manifold people here s a tip I got from an Irish fella who was doing exhuasts for a living;
Before you attempt to undo the flange nuts /bolts spray them with water while they are still at running temp. He had a garden spray pump on hand and said he never had broken bolt problems. unlike myself who almost always did. No more. Geoff Simpson

Subject: Re: IML: exhaust manifold studs for chrysler Big Block 413
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:59:43 -0500
From: spicemanii@xxxxxxx

If you cannot get a broken stud, anyone, I have removed them with ease from a simple tool. A Dremel tool. I use a disc cutter and carefully make an even, straight slot across the broken stud and try to not cut the block as the iron will cut easy. Use a disc almost the size of the blade of a stubby screwdriver. Sometimes it will come out easy. If not, I then use a vise grips on the blade of the screwdriver and it will help twist is off. For those cars in the salted areas of the world, I have never had to remove one of those as salt here is for food, not roads. So, good luck, joe machado
   ps, the studs should be the same for a 440, but not the magnum engines with the high rise manifolds. They use a nut that is longer and is hollow to be installed over the stud in the head.