RE: IML: cast iron welder in SE?

I discovered that my 413 engine block is in fact slightly cracked. The
machine shop missed it during the magna fluxing. I almost put the engine
back together but noticed a hair crack in the water jacket. It is not in the
cylinder and a good welder should be able to fix this. I am looking for an
experienced welder with an oven who will use the low nickel muggy 77 rod. If
any of the members in the southeast know of someone let me know.
Thanks, David

David:
   Consider looking for a used block as well.  The only way to tell which year the engine belongs in would be to check the pad on the right front of the engine block.  Your current engine should be stamped MR 413.  A few years after our '59s the heads change to six bolt but the block should still be the same...  If I'm wrong on that I'm sure someone will pipe up.

   E-Mail Kenyon off the list as I know he had piles of engines that he was selling.  If he doesn't have one then try a couple of the junk yards listed on the site.

   You had asked earlier if having the wrong engine in the car would affect the value.  I guess it depends on what you are going to have when you get done.  If you are only going for a strong 3 car then most buyers at that stage wouldn't care if the block was from the wrong year.  Probably more would care if it had a 440 instead of a 413.  If you are going for a #1 then the wrong engine would hurt the resale value.

              Steve B.