Re: IML: Ranking of models and packages

You could flip through the literature section on the site, or look at the
pricing and specs information, but to make it simpler, here goes. By the
way, some models were not available in some years...and I'll focus on the
"marque" years of 1955-1975 when Imperial was its own brand. (It was its own
brand in the 1980s as well but there was only one model offering.)

Trim levels or models (lowest to highest):
- Custom
- Crown
- LeBaron
- Crown Imperial (limousine with extended wheelbase)

? There were no trim levels in 1955-56, just Imperials and Crown Imperial
limousines
? There were no Customs after 1963, only Crowns and LeBarons.
? In 1967-68, there was a base pillared 4-door called "Imperial Sedan."
? There were only LeBarons as of 1970, though there was a "Crown Coupe"
option package in 1974-75. It was essentially a padded vinyl half-roof and
opera-style fixed quarter windows (the same as a Chrysler New Yorker with
the St Regis package).

Southampton is not a model or trim level but rather a bodystyle. It is the
name Chrysler Corp gave to 2-door and 4-door hardtop models from 1956
through 1963. (Hardtops have frameless door glass and no visible center post
or "B-pillar.")
? In 1955 they were called Newports (same as Chrysler hardtops, but for 1956
they gave the Imperial models their own name and introduced the 4-door
hardtop to go along with the 2-door.
? After 1963 they were simply called hardtops.
? All Imperial 2-doors (except convertibles, of course) were hardtops from
1953 on (except for the 1974-75 "Crown Coupe" option described above).
? All Imperial 4-doors were hardtops from 1961-75, except for the 1967-68
base "Imperial Sedan" model and the 1969-only Crown 4-door Sedan.

? All LeBarons were 4-door models from 1955-1968.
? All convertibles were Imperial Crown models from 1957-68 (which is the
entire run of convertible production).

So you could have an Imperial Crown Southampton if you happen to own, say, a
1960 mid-level 4-door hardtop.

Too much info? Just go back and read the short list at the top!

Hope this helps!

Chris in LA
67 Crown 4-door Hardtop
78 New Yorker Brougham Salon