Re: Re: IML: Chrysler Newport Imperial packages??

Re: Re: IML: Chrysler Newport Imperial packages??

Chris, thanks for getting back to me. Here is two on ebay with the name Chrysler Newport Imperial:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-CHRYSLER-IMPERIAL-SUPER-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ290203665029QQihZ019QQcategoryZ43905QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrysler-Newport-Imperial-1973-Chrysler-Newport_W0QQitemZ220199619508QQihZ012QQcategoryZ43906QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Let me know what you think.

> [...]

>>> Imperial, I feel some clarifications are needed in the interest of not
>>> revising history.
>>>
>>> The LeBaron name, like Fleetwood for Cadillac, has a grand history and comes
>>> from that of a coachbuilder from the earlier part of the century that was
>>> purchased by (and ultimately dissolved into) Chrysler Corporation (as GM did
>>> with Fleetwood). The image of the name was deemed suitable for their finest
>>> product, and the clever folks at Chrysler Corp marketing even went so far as
>>> to use the word "Coachwork" on the badges on the car. (Which I don't think
>>> are real gold, are they???)
>>>
>>> While dealers might not have ordered many LeBarons for the lot (as with any
>>> top trim level), there was nothing to prevent them from doing so... and it
>>> is entirely possible to buy a LeBaron that was not custom-ordered by your
>>> royal self, the 1960s luxury car customer. But because many of these
>>> customers were the type who would want exactly the car they desired, and
>>> because dealers would be smart not to pay inventory costs on a few examples
>>> of the most expensive car in their lineup on their lot, it was less common
>>> to find one in stock. In fact, Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial dealers did not
>>> tend to "floorplan" many Imperials at all, for the reasons stated above and
>>> because they didn't sell nearly in the numbers of the lower-priced models
>>> they sold.
>>>
>>> But it was also quite common for people to special-order their Crowns,
>>> Customs and even their lowly Chrysler Newports and Plymouth Savoys, if the
>>> dealer did not have what they wanted. People just did this back then.
>>>
>>> Air conditioning was just ramping up in popularity in the early 1960s.
>>> Consider that only 33% of 1958 Imperials had it, but 60% had it by 1962. It
>>> is only logical that those individuals willing to pay for the highest trim
>>> level (LeBaron) were also willing to pay for more luxury options, so even
>>> beyond their elevated standard equipment, it is more common to find a highly
>>> optioned LeBaron than a loaded Custom.
>>>
>>> Some prices to consider, all for 1961 4-door Southampton (hardtop) models:
>>> - Custom, base MSRP: $5,111
>>> - Crown, base MSRP: $5,649  <-- $538 jump from a Custom
>>> - LeBaron, base MSRP: $6,428  <-- $779 jump from a Crown
>>> - Air conditioning: $590.20  <-- About the same as the model jumps above
>>>
>>> Roger's point is valid in that the LeBaron is the finest of the fine, so if
>>> you want the top of the line, find a lovely LeBaron! (Though dear Roger, why
>>> do you keep making our Crowns and Customs sound like Valiants?) And it's
>>> only logical to create the Ghia limousine, which actually is a coachbuilt
>>> car, from the top trim level, so if you really want the best, find one of
>>> the handful of Ghia limos built each year! But the truth is, you can't order
>>> a new one now anyway, so find the car "in stock" somewhere that speaks to
>>> your heart and has the best combination of features, color and condition,

>>> 78 NYB Salon