IML: Air Conditioning and Alternators

I looked at the marvelous "blueprint" of the 65 Imperial (http://teamchicago.com/imperial/blueprint.tif
) and noticed that in the specifications, two alternators are mentioned - a 30-amp and a 46-amp for A/C models.

Could someone tell me why our air-conditioned Imperials require a larger alternator?  A/C is all driven by engine power - the only electrical component is the fan (same as the heater) and magnetic clutch.  What on earth is the need for the additional 16 amps of charging power?

Ken Miller

Portland, Oregon

61 and 67 Converts