Re: IML: Rought Day in the Garage II

I suggest that you check the rating on your compressor hvlp systems like constant presure at proper psi do you have a regulator on the gun ? and an air dryer on the compressor? Im not an expert but Im learnig ----- Original Message ----- From: <mopar413@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Kenyon Wills" <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Rought Day in the Garage II

Did you stain the paint when pouring it into the gun. I alway do that. Keep my HVLP gun from plugging up/.
---- Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As an add on to my previous message, I used Jasco
paint stripper to remove the "bad" or poorly shot
primer from the hood of the 1972.

I then sanded down the hood and got the rest of the
funk off.  I asked the people that sold me the
catalyzed primer about my misfortune and they
suggested that I thin it and try again, since that's
the best stuff they sell.

I did that, and poured nearly a quart of thinner into
the primer's gallon can before it thinned out and the
sludge on the bottom came up and went into suspension,
leaving the primer mixture thinner than other stuff
I've used.

Well, thinning it down made all the difference.  The
primer went on "wet" and laid down flat very nicely.

I just got done shooting the hood in gloss black.

This was my first time with a HVLP gun, and I'd have
to say that I was pretty disappointed.  Now, the
problem is probably mine in that I "did something
incorrectly", since that's a lifestyle choice I made
long ago, but the material just didn't come out in
enough volume to allow it to go on "wet".

This was most frustrating, and the paint went on
almost wet.  The poor thing ran out of juice and
seemed to plug up and refuse to spray 2/3 of the way
through the quart.

I took it out and poured the remaining paint into my
older siphon gun and finished off the hood with that
older one.  It flowed nicely and I was able to get a
nice wet layer on top of most of the hood.  Looks like
I'll need it since the hood is anything but smooth at
this point.  I may knock it down and shoot another
coat, since there's some pretty nasty orange peel.

Well, the price was right, anyway.

I'll let it dry and we'll see how it cuts when I block
sand and polish a small area....

-Kenyon