RE: IML: LED lights

I think I'd only previously purchased bulbs from Superbrightleds.com.  My lebaron uses 2 dual-filament bulbs (stacked vertically) in each brake/tail/turn lamp, 2 tail lamps in the trunk lid, and 2 in the CHMSL.  All my experimenting took place over about the past 4 years.  The things I was looking for with this mod were adequate fill of the reflector, a noticeable difference between the dim and the bright setting, and clear visibility of the brake lights when viewed in sunlight.

I originally puchased enough LED bulbs to replace all of these.  These were the original design, with only axially-mounted LEDs.  I was not pleased at all.  None of my main requirements were met.  You got basically "points" of light that looked like a firefly stuck in the taillamp.  So I switched back.

Later, I was researching other vendors, and I came accross one that may have been the one mentioned earlier by another IML member.  These looked more promising, as they incorporated some radially-mounted LEDs to provide some fill.  Unfortunately, they were $60 apeice, so it would have cost $240 just to do the 4 main lamps, and even $60 to try one out was too much.

Then later, Superbright LEDs put out a wedge-based bulb that incorporated a single high-flux (luxeon?) emitter, that even though it was axially mounted, promised illumination in 180*.  I decided to purchase one and try it out.  It was brighter, and provided somewhat better fill, but still not good enough in my opinion, still had the firefly impression.  I felt that it would have been better designed with a shorter base, to move the emitter further back into the reflector.  Also, there were issues with the dual-brightness feature not working correctly.

Even later, they introduced a design that was similar to the originals I purchased, but included 6 radially-mounted LEDs for fill.  I purchased a pair of these to test them out.  Again, better fill than the originals, but still not good enough, still too dim in bright sunlight, and not enough difference between bright and dim.  At least the flasher worked properly.

Lastly, the discussion was started on Allpar, so I chimed in and someone mentioned the vendor I posted earlier.  The vendor offers many different designs for the same bulb type, so I emailed him about which ones would be best for my application and my reqirements.  He recommended one type, but was also up front about cautioning me that they may not illuminate as well as standard bulbs.  I ordered a pair to test them out, and found that they were more than satisfactory in meeting all 3 of my requirements, and performed as well as incandescents, while providing the nice deep red color, and more distinct flash of LEDs.  So I purchased 2 more of the dual-brightness bulbs, and 2 bulbs for my CHMSL.  I've decided to leave the trunk lamps as they are for now.  I've had these bulbs for over 6 months and am very happy with them.