Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:55 PM
Subject: IML: '56 Night Time Winter Cruising in New England

Fellow Imperialists,

    With the apex of winter upon us here in New England and our regionally infamous Mud Season so due in between, true driving weather for Imperial owner's of the Northeast is a longing lust of hit and run opportunities until after Memorial Day comes in earnest.  Those such as myself who are able to put the car down under roof cover for the winter in anticipation of a smoother re-awakening come spring are aroused to ride [as we all are actually] by these few days where glimpses of warmer climes to come are fed by these days which are crisp, clear and sunny--and only cold; with few puddles or only finger-deep frozen remnants of storms now long passed, with most salt washed away for the time being, and our cars, our steel and pious human offerings which start so methodically properly by their owner's knowing and caressing touch, I do believe, ache for such a road ride as well.

    I am fortunate and have covered storage [unheated], and am very particular about the chemical make up of the various potions used in with the mechanical fluids left in various reservoirs/tanks of the '56 for hibernation purposes for ease of start come spring, as well the mouse/air freshener/dehumidifier components of her hibernation as related to the interior 'freshness factor 'come spring awakening and prior to her final draping for the winter sleep.  A single day of each winter month I dedicate to gently starting each of my MoPar's, bringing them to full operating temperature, as well as engaging the tranny and rolling them within the confines of their long stalls.  And those days are 'painful', as starting and not going anywhere is humbling.  But there are days when all common sense is tossed and I feel the need to treat the car as it would have been treated upon her assembly in '56 and then sold to a family who would use it as the daily driver it was born to be, and that means used in winter.....and though I take precautions and utmost care, I feel guilty as all heck taking her out in any 'inclement' weather--this despite the bath/spray wax I have planned for her upon completion of the ride--, but I do go and what a great time, for after all, it is just a car,  lololol  !

    And this overwhelming urge usually occurs at night when I am finished with whatever project I could dream up to get me out there in the first place, and I notice how quiet it is in the neighborhood and how crispy and dry it is out.  My '56 starts without a battery trickle charger and after sitting for months at a time if I so let her.   Last night was one of those starry, full moon nights and Turq was baying to roam.  So after warming her up and moving the other cars around, I gently pulled her out into the light of night, and with the heater cranking dutifully and mighty comfortably, I set out for my ocean loop around Newburyport, Essex, Rockport, Gloucester and southern New Hampshire beaches and she performed flawlessly.  No coughs when asking for it, and smooth power throughout the sojourn.

    Of course I set out about 7pm and return about 10pm , and to assuage the ego we all purchased these lovelies for, I stop at every convenience shop I can and am swamped with the usual gawkier's, as well as those in awe that I would have her out in New England in this type of weather.  "It's a driver," I tell 'em,  and though I never make a habit of this winter cruising, the trip is always enough to remind me of what shall come again in spring......the thumbs up on the way home and the cars pulling over to give me all the extra room among the snow banks encroaching on the roads is truly a form of redemption of humanity for me.

Always Imperially,

Jack

1956 Imperial