80s Fuel Flow Sensor. All you ever wanted to know!

80s Fuel Flow Sensor. All you ever wanted to know!

Hi all,

I have been exchanging e-mails with Joe Dydasco of Floscan.  He seems to be a
pretty nice guy!  He has answered all of my questions about the Fuel Flow
Sensor without hesitation.

He explains that the sensor uses a photo LED and a wheel (very similar to
your average computer mouse by the way.  Take one apart and look inside.)

Years ago, I had heard that one of the possible reasons for the 80s Imps EFI
problems was that people did not use 'approved' gasolines (no methanol) and
also used Gasahol which may have deteriorated the plastic of the LEDs in the
fuel metering system.

I am not sure, but I believe that newer EFI systems use magnetic sensors.  Oh
well, if this is true, think what might have been.

Now I know that there IS some moving parts in that 'electrical' area of that
sensor.  I may try to take the metal 'plug' out of mine.  The only problem is
if I break it the car is dead until I get another.  Hmmmm.

The following is my entire e-mail exchange with Joe.  Enjoy!