68 too? Was: 67 AC controls repair

----- Original Message -----
From: <dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Dick, does any of this apply to 68's?  ie, can these substitute switches
be
> used on the 68's?
>
> D^2

As far as I know, the 68s all have ATC, so the answer would be no.   If
there are 68s with standard AC, then I think the same parts would likely be
used, but I've never seen one with standard AC so I can't be sure.

There is a close equivalent to the ATC type push button unit, the NAPA
HC6401, but as I recall, I had to take it apart and modify the electrical
portion of it's program.  The vacuum hose program was right, though, again
as I recall.  I used it on my 68, but that was about 15 years ago and I
forget the details of what I did.

These are pretty obvious once you get them apart, but you have to melt or
grind off the plastic retaining devices, and then drill and tap out the
holes for new screws when you get them changed to the program you want.  If
yours still has all 7 vacuum fittings and the plastic housing is in good
shape (meaning no vacuum leaks), you can rebuild it - I've done that a
couple of times on other cars.  It is painstaking work, requiring good
light, good eyesight, some tiny tools, common sense and a steady hand - I'm
sure that anyone who has rebuilt a carburetor can handle this too.  You of
course need the FSM to tell you which vacuum hose should be active at each
push button position.  The ATC cars don't have a blower speed switch.

Dick Benjamin