those 67 in stripes

Dear Bill,

Funny that you should ask!  Dick Benjamin has an Imperial like that, and he
just e-mailed
me a link to an auction on ebay for an Imperial that has the same color
combination as
both his car and the ad I think you saw.

It's gold with a cream color in the concave area.  Imperial had one painted
like this in one
of their ads for '68, and according to Dick, the previous owner of his car saw
the ad and
had the dealer repaint his car to match.  The funny thing is, since then we
have spotted
several other Imps with this same color scheme.  So either a lot of folks liked
it and had
their cars painted that way, or it was a little known factory offered paintjob.

Also, on the '68 Newports there was an option to have the concave sides covered
in
simulated woodgrain (on the convertibles).  It sounds odd, but it actually
looks pretty
good and these cars usually bring a few extra bucks when sold.

Mark M