Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 3:21 PM
Subject: IML: SMS-Plan on Waiting

SMS says plan on at least six months.  Do! Then when you have waited six months, call to check on your order.  Very possible you will be told they have not even started and will not for months to come.  My personal experience is thirteen months wait for 61 door panels, and 8 months wait for upholstery material for a 56 DeSoto.  Key here is individual orders.  They do not get the attention that orders from other companies get.  For example, order door panels from Legendary for a 64 300K as my partner did and received in three months.  I believe Legendary gets panels from SMS.  Now Just Dashes advertises door panels available.  You may very well get your panels quicker by ordering from Just Dashes who send your order on to SMS.  I know this as the pres. of SMS(Doug) toldme this on a personal visit to try and push on my order.  Enjoyed the tour but did not succeed in getting my order any sooner.

We are stuck with them as they are the only source for fabrics and panels and they do excellent work.  My advice is to plan on a year.  In this way, you may be pleasantly surprised if your stuff comes sooner.  Of course, your credit card is charged immediately for your order regardless of how long you have to wait for your order.  That's always a given.

And they don't respond to polite begging or to angry outbursts, one just has to wait and listen to the same story each time one calls.

True, I don't like dealing with them, but their stuff is great once received, have to say that.

Henry Hopkins, 61/60-----
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 2:08 PM
Subject: RE: IML: SMS problem Philippe/Elisabeth

Hello Everyone,

I have just returned from a quick trip to SMS Upholstery here in Oregon.

Here is what I learned:

Very nice people there, they took the time to answer ALL my questions.

They had 6 people (that I could see) on the phones, and the phones never stopped ringing the whole time I was there.

I talked to the owner and he took the time to look up the orders from Philippe's friend M. Mendez (France) and Elisabeth (Sweden).

Regarding M. Mendez' order, He told me that their mill supplier (in New Jersey) had sent some vinyl back to Portland, but the "Pewter" color did not match, so they had to re-order the vinyl to match the original samples from M. Mendez (which I saw). They also had a problem with the embossing of one of the vinyls. They are very meticulious and will only send the order out if it is perfect and correct.

Regarding Elisabeth's order, he showed me the order and said there were 6 different cars that she was buying material for. He said that some of the fabrics had to be specially made at the mill in New Jersey and might take 2 weeks, 2 months, or 6 months.

One thing he kept saying was that people don't realize that some of these orders may take 6 months or longer, he said the best thing to do is to plan ahead and allow at least 6 months for any fabrics, or panels, or vinyl, that might have to be dyed, or embossed, or made from scratch.

He was very concerned about his customers, his office was well organized and it only took him seconds to find M. Mendez' order and also Elisabeths order.

This was significant as they are also in the middle of a major move, moving the whole business from Portland to Canby (a small suburb of Portland) and into a larger warehouse.

I have no involvement with this company, I went there in person to help the people on the IML list, and to see what they have available for my Imperials.

I hope this helps..............

Michael Howlett

Boring Oregon

>From: Philippe Courant <accf-club@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: collyman1@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: SMS problem
>Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:44:41 +0200

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download!