Rim Blow horn issues

This cracks me up!

Our family lived in Southern California when I was a little kid, and that was
long before the day of the Rim Blow horn. There were old cars in our
neighborhood that use to blow their horns from the sun beating down through the
windshield onto the horn ring, or so we were told. One was a '49 Chevy and the
other was a '51 Ford. It seems to me that it used to happen in store parking
lots all the time too.

I still don't understand how the sun could force the horn to blow, but back
then it was not uncommon, although as a kid, I would have believed anything. My
parents '48 Chrysler Town and Country Convertible never did that, and we always
ran it around with the top down on a sunny day. When they got rid of it and
drove the '60 Imperial, that never happened to it either.

Paul