From: <commenace@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 9:52 AM
Subject: IML: Info about Henkel's

> Quint,
> Henkel's did not charge me by the hour, rather by the job. They did my
leather (that I got from SMS) for a fee per seat (front and back). I believe
it was $600 per seat. I could be wrong, I don't have the receipts in front
of me. They had my car for almost two weeks. Long time? Maybe. But it seems
that there's only one guy, Jim, who does all the work with an assistant.
Worth the wait? Absolutely. Worth the price? Are you kidding? Ten hours of
work @ $65/hour is already $650! I'm sure each seat was a great deal.
> They also redid my carpet. They had carpet that was very close to the
original; thick pile, very soft. It wasn't exact, but it looks great. For
this they charged me a flat rate. I think it was like $300. Since it wasn't
original, I had them also redo the carpeting on the bottom of the door
panels to match. $80 a door. As far as the headliner is concerned, I did it
myself (mostly). I couldn't get the side panels right, they were way too
loose, Henkels did it right with some material I had left over from the rear
window panel. For that they only charged me $25 per panel. Man, that seemed
low, but they look great.
> I did hang the headliner myself. It came from SMS stitched and ready to
hang. Not an easy endeavour, but one I succeeded in, with limited success.
Henkel's fixed what I screwed.
> All in all, Henkel's did a great job. Like tattoos, you're not gonna get
good work unless you pay for it, unless you have a friend or relative
willing to do the work for less. Jim, the guy who seemingly does all the
work there, is a lover of old cars. That's always a plus. My interior has
the vertical pleats which are quite deep. Many other places told me they
would "try to" get it like that, but didn't promise. Jim knew exactly what
needed to be done, and he did it. Right.
> Enough said.
> John.
> 1965 Le Baron.
> Henkel's 626-796-4389
> If you want to know exact prices, let me know, I'll find my receipt. Just
keep in mind that that was MY price. You're price may be different. They
look at the car and give you a price, like in the old days (I imagine).