More on Steering Columns / Columns Galore

More on Steering Columns / Columns Galore

Today, I spoke with Columns Galore on the phone. For us w/the GM-Saginaw
sourced Tilt-Tele columns, they sell a $35 upper column bearing rebuild kit
that included a number of components. I think my '72 Newport's Tilt-Tele
will be treated to this kit soon..
They didn't seem to have very much in the way of parts for non-tilt, pre
80's Mopars. They may be able to match up a given bearing for one in stock.

Bill, I had pictured just a fraction of movement at the wheel, as my '63
exhibits.  6'' of play does sound like an upper bearing backed out of it's
boss or broke apart, or the column mount bracket bolts on the underside of
the dashboard brace are loose or missing.

Eric
'63 Crown Four-Door
'72 Newport Custom Sedan

***********************************

  I would like to thank those who sent a reply to my quest to fix my =
steering problem. I believe the problem is near the top of the steering =
column somewhere close to the base of the wheel. I recently had the =
steering box replaced, and from the wobble I believe something has given =
way near the top of the column. The wheel is also able to be pulled out =
slightly toward the driver. This is not just a slight wobble, but I am =
able to move the wheel from side to side about six inches, which is why =
I think it is a bearing or bushing of some sort, and not related to any =
of the suspension or lower steering areas. The car is also running on =
fairly new radial tires. I was able to locate a shop called Steering =
Columns Galore, but it was too late to call today, so I will try them =
tomorrow.