Brake Lights/1960?

When you rebuilt the brakes, did you up grade the master cylinder to a newer
model? If not, then we are still talking about the fluid activated switch on
the base of your master cylinder.

It would probably be a good idea to have another new switch on hand before
removing the old one. If a particle lodged into the old switch, and it is
partially clogged, cleaning it out may be more difficult that simply replacing
it.

This problem is not uncommon. Oil pressure sending units work similarly to this
particular switch. They also can provide incorrect readings due to blockages.

The part I don't get here is that it was said that the lights brightened up
with a rev of the engine. When the switch is beginning to fail, usually the
stop lights will either take more pressure than is necessary to stop the car to
work, or it will fail completely. In any case, engine RPMs should not have an
effect. I suppose that an imperfect connection within the switch could be
strengthened with a brief electrical surge, but that seems a little far
fetched. The connectors on the end of the switch could be suspect and may need
cleaning. This could be done with a small piece of emery paper, and may not
require pulling the switch.

Paul