55 ignition problems

Hi Roger,
The checking of the switch is easy.  It has four poles
on it.  Starting from left to right as looking at it
from under the dash, check for voltage with test
light.  Far left (if I remember right) is the ACC.
Center should always have power to it.  Middle right
should be the ignition or "on side". Next pole should
be start position.  when under the dash check each
pole to the postion of the key.  I will bet that when
you took apart the center you had to disconnect some
wires to the switch.  If there is power to the on side
then a wire is broken or disconnected under the dash.
that power wire will go to the firewall and to the
components that shut off in the car with he key.  The
test light will tell the story.  ***Before you go
there check the wire to the coil. When the switch is
on it should light the tester.  If it does try a
coil.***
RC Billings, Montanaaaaaa