Re: IML: Air conditioning compressor "oil"

Re: IML: Air conditioning compressor "oil"

Dear Bradley,

There is a thin oil that is added to the compressor to lubricate the internal moving parts. There is no "dipstick" per se. I believe the oil is added when the compressor is first made, and some folks never add any more, going on the theory that only a small amount is required and it doesn't really get "burned up" or used like motor oil. But I think more can be added if necessary when the freon is changed.

However, the oil has nothing to do with how cold your AC gets, as I understand it. It is just there to protect the compressor from wear. I could be wrong.

Mark M