IML: Dr. Mopar

The last time I checked, Dr. Mopar was still in business but I confess I have been out of the old car loop for about a year, if not more. He is, like many an independent scrap yard owner/operator, somewhat idiosyncratic. He has had some private issues that have made him briefly unavailable a year or two ago, which are best not recorded here but then he was back in business. I bought a hood for my 58 Imperial not so very long ago. However, he was starting to have some issues with the local authorities with regards to environmental issues. In particular, they wanted him to fence off his entire site. If you have ever been to Niederwald - literal translation 'Nether World,' - you could not imagine a place less likely to attract the attention of any local authorities.

Anyhoo, suffice to say, he may indeed have closed down. Best just to e-mail him and find out. Here's the thing, though. He had loads of Imperials, including an almost complete early 80s car. He bought Mopars from other yards that would otherwise have scrapped them, as they are not the high volume sellers they like to keep around. You could easily miss his yard from the main road, and it's a shame, if it's true, that a guy who really does care about these old cars could not continue to do so. I know he has some difficulties with dealing with the world but he was a good man to know if you needed something for an Imperial. Being an oddball myself, I got on with him in person just fine. He does most of his business over the internet, however. I have never heard anyone complain about him over charging and I would probably be the first one to start if I had experienced it.

Hugh