Re: IML: 1961 Sending Unit Replacement

I, too, have a '61 and had to replace the sending unit. I've remained silent on this whole sending unit thing, but here's what I did, and it worked for me.

First, I ordered a new sending unit from JC Whitney. You can probably get them 100 other places, maybe even local auto supplies. In the JC Whitney catalog, I had to specify Ford, GM, or Chrysler. Or maybe I had to choose "Ford or GM" and I chose Ford. Anyway, when it arrived, it's a generic one, as in, if I were building a gas tank. It is all ready to fasten down to the top of the tank with screws, and that's not the mounting procedure for these sending units.

At that point, I took the old sending unit, took it apart, took apart the new sending unit, used what I needed, took 2 and made one, and voila! it works fine for me.

What usually goes wrong is the stuff in the little "container" -- the wiper arm and the coil rust away. I don't remember the details of what I did now, whether any soldering was involved, or what I did -- but I made it work. And on the "cheap" (I think I paid in the $15-25 range for the generic sending unit.

Hope that helps.

--Brooks in Dallas

JosephStil@xxxxxxx wrote:

Speaking of this sort of problem.....

I have the fuel tank on the big red sled removed to be cleaned. After looking at the condition of the sending unit, there is a middlin' to high chance I will have to replace it. The condition of the fuel tank was very bad and it is at the radiator shop now gettin' a good cleanin'.

Does anyone have a bead on where I can get a replacement sending unit? I have been searchin' the catalogues and eBay and the like but haven't found one for her year.

Is it a situation where this unit needs to be replaced? Or can the components (sock filter, float, etc.) be repaired/remanufactured?

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!!

Joe
1961 Crown Southampton