Re: IML: Fuselage Era - further notes

One interesting comparison is between the two fuselage body styles.

I have a 1970 and a 1973 (working on a 1972 with another club-member) and the 1970 has a front end that is significantly higher off the ground in a bumper to ground measurement, despite the bodies being at very similar ride heights.  The lower bumper goes all the way down with a larger surface area and a biger "face", as opposed to the later ones that have a "thin" lower bumper above a body-colored valence. The crease where the sail panel meets the body is also different.  Why in the heck they reinvented that portion of the car is puzzling, as they are so similar.  Maybe the dies were worn out or something?

Since I was born in 1970, I have a subliminal desire to like the 1970 car.  It has a flat hood that seems more "1970-esqe" than the other car for whatever reason.  It seems to take off harder and accelerate better than the 1973, but to be fair, both are original engines that are older and tired, so that may be some of the discrepancy, but I think that smog changes to the engine of the 1973 may also be a contributing factor.

The 1973 "feels" heavier (not as much power?  heavier steering?) and lower - being more prone to bottoming out on hard bumps.

I like driving around at dusk with only the side-marker parking lights on for whatever reason - I just like the way it looks from the front, which is so different from any other vehicle's face that I've seen.

The fuselage cars were, in their time at least, referred to the backwards-looking car, as the front grille looked like it could also serve as the rear of a car, and the rear was canted at such an angle that it could conceivably be the aerodynamic front end.  Swap the front and rear glass and throw some headlights on the rear of the car and drive around in reverse?  -Could be.....

Lastly....., is it just me?  Every time that I look at the rear end of the fuselage cars, the  72/73 oval/teardrop tail lights and the 69-71 chrome endcaps that are vertical remind me of the upswept wings of the eagle for some reason.  Maybe I'm just spending too much energy on that sort of thing, but take a look for yourself:

http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1970/Kenyon1970/images/05-reg.jpg
http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1973/Wills/73_Rear.jpg

When I have the cars together and the sun's out, I'll try to get some side by side pictures.

-Kenyon