Re: IML: Fuselage Era - further notes

Actually, it wasn't that the dies wore out, it was due to Chrysler's
restyling for 1972.  If you look down the side of the 1969-71 Imperial, you
will see a character line a few inches down from the beltline that starts at
front end, sweeps along the side and up into the C pillar at the rear edge
of the rear door.   On the 1972 (and 1973) models that upper character line
was removed and to save dollars in redesigning the back doors, the line came
down from the C pillar and faded out.

The 2-door hardtops had the line removed completely as the roof was restyled
as well.

Also notice that the character line running from lower part of the parking
lights on the 1969-71 down the side to the point in the rear fender where
the fender edge changes direction is modified on the 1972-73 to be a raised
ridge.  On the 1969-71 models, below the line the sheet metal drops back
leaving an edge.

The 1972 restyling was so subtle on the sides that one writer reviewing the
1972 Chrysler Newport wondered why Chrysler went to all that expense.

The interesting thing about the vertical taillamps on the 1972-73 models and
the vertical blades on the 1969-71 models is that the theme can be traced
back to the 1955 Imperials.  The 1957-61 models had fins, while the 1962
models reverted to the 1955-56 style with taillamps mounted on top of the
blades.  Even the 1964-66 models had thin blades of a sort at the rear edge
of the rear quarter panels.   They did not reappear on the 1981-83 Imperials
while the 1990-93 Imperials copied the 1981-83 back end.

Personally I feel Chrysler should have offered the 2-door hardtop with a
more formal roofline based on the Chrysler/Imperial 4-door hardtop, as they
did in 1967-68.  The coupe look of the 1969-73 2-door hardtop looked great
on the Fury and not bad on the Polara/Monaco, but when on the Imperial with
its longer wheelbase and length, it looks like a pimple on a shoebox.   (By
the way, the Fury formal hardtops of 1969-73 used the Fury/Polara/Monaco
4-door hardtop roofline.)

My favourite fuselage Imperial is the 1970, although I do love the
taillights on the 1962-73 models.  Both the grille and taillight treatment
on the 1970 is cleaner than either the 1969 or 1970, and the cornering
lights are nicer on the 1970 than the gill treatment on the 1969.  But no
matter how you look at them,. the Imperials were the epitomy of C body
fuselage styling.

As an aside, the "70 Years of Chrysler" is so titled as the book covers the
history of the Chrysler and Imperial, plus Chrysler's predecessors, Chalmers
(1908-1924) and Maxwell (1904-1925).  The Chrysler plant on Jefferson Avenue
was originally the Chalmers plant while the Highland Park properties
belonged to Maxwell, as did Chrysler's properties in Dayton, Ohio.

Bill
Vancouver, BC