Re: IML: IML'74 on Ebay. Special Handling?

Re: IML: IML'74 on Ebay. Special Handling?

I worry that I ask questions that have been the subject of previous threads,
but what the heck is "special handling?"

It's on the tag of a cool '74 that popped up on Ebay today, No. 2497278212.

See it at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43905&item
=2497278212&rd=1

Everytime I see one of these last of the great Imperials, I sigh with
longing (and gratitude that I have neither the money nor the place for them)
because I want them all.  I was only ten when this one was new, but I
remember them and marveling at the skirting side panels and the front grill.
I thought they were fabulous, I still do and I've never seen their equal.

But "special handling?"  I assume it means it was built to specs ordered by
the buyer?  I remember when people did that.  You never hear about "special
ordering" a car anymore.  The modern robots spitting out the car of today
can't be disturbed, I suppose, to make one to suit a particular owner.  I'm
not bashing modern automobiles.  I'm impressed with the modern technology
and I know no one could afford to build a yacht like the '74 Imperial tody,
or any other of the fine Imperials that we love, much less afford to buy
one.  It's too bad, however, that you can't seem to "order it from the
factory" anymore.

AND, I'm not ignoring the early 80s models (one of which I saw today pulling
onto Hwy 190 between Covington and Mandeville here in St. Tammany Parish,
Louisiana.  Light blue and pretty) nor the early 90s cars.  I admire and
lust for them too.

Anyway, I was intrigued and thought I'd ask all you brains out there what
"special handling" meant.

Thanks

Patrick
'58 Southampton