Re: IML: GM steering columns

Hi gang,
Just my 2 cents worth.  My 55 has many Delco parts in
it.  During the early years Delco was a auto parts
supplier for many different companies.  My 55 has a
Delco generator in it.  This type of generator was
used in other cars of the era.  I believe that Hudson
or Packard used the same set up with the power
steering pump on the rear.  My Furd from the same era
has a generator on it.  It is stamped FOMCO.
Windings, bearings and bushings are different but the
pulleys and key ways are the same.  The same supplier
is probably use for both companies. Many tool
companies made these small parts as well as tools.
The war effort was probably the biggest cause of this.
 In the latter years these small companies were bought
out or went bankrupt.  When you build large consumer
products like a car many suppliers are used.  Some of
these products are even stamped different to satisfy
the company that purchases them.  That is why
interchange parts books are so popular.
RC Billings, Montanaaaaaa

   --- Brad Hogg <roadhogg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> That certainly is true.  In this case, however, it
> is a little more obvious
> that it is a GM product.  The electrical connector
> on the column is embossed
> with "DELCO" and there is a 4 to 6 inch wiring
> harness "adapter" that allows
> that column to be plugged into the Chrysler body
> harness.
>
> I don't know if GM has ever used a Mopar column in
> their cars.  To my
> knowledge, the only Mopar part that can be seen
> while driving a GM product
> is the Mopar tail lights.  ;-)
>
> Please quote this message in your reply.  Otherwise
> I will be unable to
> reply to your message.  Thanks.

=====
RC Billings, Montanaaaaaa